Two histories of knowledge under one roof
The foundation stone of the new building for Basel Natural History Museum and State Archives with the inscription ‘sichern erforschen vermitteln’ has been laid at a depth of 19 metres. This footprint of this building, intended to have a long life and be capable of further development, yet at the same time archaic, is 200 metres long and 30 metres wide. It will provide a new home for around 11.8 million museum pieces from the fields of zoology, geology and palaeontology and more than 20 kilometres of files from the archives covering 1000 years of Basel history. The two institutions in the St Johanns-Quartier will be opened in 2027 and 2028, one after the other.